[Koha-devel] Release cycle [was: Ubuntu support]

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 04:26:46 CEST 2012

Greetings,

[snip]
> New LTSs are released every two years, but end-of-life
> is after five years (e.g. current 12.04 LTS is valid until April 2017.)
> The 10.04 server (Lucid) is valid until
> April 2015, and the older 8.04 Heron server is still valid
> until April 2013 and could probably be dropped
> (together with 10.10 (Maverick) which was never an LTS.)
>
> This Ubuntu cycle has the great advantage of being able to
> "jump" one LTS, and still have a year of "old" validity before
> deploying "new".
>
> Is there any chance of using a similar "release cycle" as far
> as LTS is concerned for Koha?

I sort of had something like this in mind when I was talking about
"orphaned" vs. "killed". However, in terms of Koha, because there is no one
maintaining 3.4.X, it can't be thought of as all stable versions are LTS.

As for Ubuntu 8.04, even though it is LTS for Ubuntu, I don't think it is
LTS for us. I purposefully wrote very discouraging remarks regarding it on
the
    http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_Ubuntu
page that I updated in the last couple of months.
"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL KOHA 3.8.X ON UBUNTU 8.04 -- IT FAILS! 3.6.X MAY
FAIL TO INSTALL AS WELL."
When I say "it fails!" I am implying that if you wanted it to work, it would
go so seriously out of scope of these installation directions and be so
specific for particular versions of OS and KOHA that it is not worth the
effort (perl upgrades would be required, etcetera).

I'm not a long term user, so my vote for 3.6.7 (soon to be released) does
not carry as much weight.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett