[Koha-devel] Koha on Ubuntu LTS

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Sun Jul 29 00:30:48 CEST 2012

Paul,

Just got back after a few days away. Installation all went well (did not
> install php package, but used php-pear leaving Apache2 as worker) OPAC and
> staff client both functional from LAN workstations. Restored a working db
> (3.6.1) to MySQL, Koha "did its thing" updating the db format, OPAC showed
> a "System Maintenance" placard, I re-indexed biblios and authorities (no
> problem), checked the cron-job for the incremental zebra indexing (working
> properly.)
>
> So everything fine except:
>
> MAJOR:  OPAC is stuck with the "System Maintenance" page - I've rebooted
> (same result), so am looking for ideas, please, as to where to start
> looking.  This is _not_ a browser cache problem.

Did you try rerunning updatedatabase?

SEMI-MAJOR:  The cron /etc/cron.d/koha (exactly as per Wiki, README, etc)
> only works if owner:group is root:root or root:koha (fails completely if
> koha:koha). This (because the "user koha" appears in field #6, and without
> it, it fails) is leading to the zebra incremental running twice:
> Jul 28 17:20:01 server2 CRON[2132]: (root) CMD (koha
> $KOHAPATH/bin/migration_tools/**rebuild_zebra.pl <http://rebuild_zebra.pl>-a -b -z &> /dev/null)
> Jul 28 17:20:01 server2 CRON[2135]: (koha) CMD (
> $KOHAPATH/bin/migration_tools/**rebuild_zebra.pl <http://rebuild_zebra.pl>-a -b -z &> /dev/null)
> This leads to another:

The instructions all assume a user crontab. If you are using
/etc/cron.d/koha, you should not be using the user crontab (as all the
instructions assume), or you could do things vice versa.

SEMI-MAJOR:  From Koha dependencies (I think) nullmailer got installed. It
> is doing a serious job of bloating the mail.log and mail.err (both up to
> over half a Gig in a couple of hours, because each "double cron" appears to
> want to email:
> Jul 28 17:20:01 server2 CRON[2136]: (koha) MAIL (mailed 1 byte of output;
> but got status 0x0001, #012)
> Is there any way in Koha to turn off this type of mailing?  Or should I
> look for another way of sending these things to /dev/null without logging?
> (I get the nasty feeling that nullmailer is attempting to recursively retry
> to send the whole queue *every minute* i.e. whenever another input is
> detected from the one minute zebra cronjob.

So, remove nullmailer. nullmailer needs to be configured appropriately if
you are using it.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/