[Koha-devel] SIP brainstorming during the hackfest

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Sun Jun 10 16:27:11 CEST 2012

During the hackfest, we had a discussion/brainstorming around SIP
server, here is a feedback of what we said

Ppl participating the discussion: Marc B, Dobrica, Kyle Hall, Colin C,
Paul P, Matthias M, Adrien S

The SIP server:
 * is not very robust (fail badly if it receive a bad line) bug & patch
already in bugzilla

 * the SIP protocol it's not complete:
    - fees are grouped, "pay 50", it should be "pay 4+3+5..."
    - atm, a patron can't pay a payment if there is no debt. That would
be useful to pay registrations a few days before my account expire
 Marc Balmer goal is to be deal with that, but it's not in the SIP2
protocol (the protocol does not specify how to do it)

 * SIP3 = the new protocol is being developed, and addresses those
problems. 3M has announced that SIP will be placed in the hand of a NPO
and become a NISO protocol

 * We should write a new SIP server for Koha, dealing with SIP3. SIP2
will continue for a while, so we must have (and maintain) both servers.

 *  our SIP2 implementation was shared with Evergreen, but it's no more
the case, and Colin thinks we should not try to merge again, because we
wouldn't gain anything specific.

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com