[Koha-devel] Bug 7167 New updatedatabase

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 20:51:58 CEST 2012

Just bringing this back to original intent:  it's hard for developers and
testers to work with patches that have DB revs, so we want to fix that.
Basically, that means being able to easily tell what changes have been made
to the DB beyond the natural Koha progression.

The problem with the code we have, I think, is that we're trying to make
this something that can be managed in the staff client.  Our target
audience here isn't Koha users, it's testers and developers.  Whatever
we're doing to address our needs as code maintainers must not effect the
people actually using the software.

I've floated this before, so I will now again:  I think we need to move our
database updates to individual Perl files, with a set API: DESCRIBE, CHECK,
DO and UNDO.  If every atomic update contains the necessary logic to handle
these four functions, we'll be able to:

1.  see what the change is BEFORE applying it
2.  see if the change is necessary BEFORE applying it
3.  revert changes after testing them

updatedatabase, then, becomes the mechanism by which the RM assigns these
Perl files a linear sequence and distinct DB rev number.  Any change that's
running "on top" of the core Koha code won't need a temporary/fake number
assigned to it to get added.  Maintaining it will be the job of the
sysadmin who decided to run non-core code to begin with, but that's nothing
new.

It's very rare that sequence is important for DB revs, as we have few that
change the table structure, and those that do often do not interact in a
short span of time.  If you find a Koha DB rev doesn't apply to your
customized DB structure, it's time for a rebase!  I really don't think this
is a frequent enough occurrence to warrant too much consideration.

In short, I think we should hold off on our eagerness to push this change
through, and wait until we've come up with a different solution.  We're
only putting the users of Koha at risk for serious DB-related bugs, with no
tangible gain in it for them.

Cheers,

-Ian