[Koha-devel] Koha 3.8 release schedule & perltidy process

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Thu Mar 8 13:59:16 CET 2012

Hello koha-devel,

I just updated the 3.8 release process with the schedule/planning of the
release: http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Roadmap_to_3.8

Here it is:
March, 23th (1 month before the release) = feature freeze.
April, 6th = strong feature freeze, string freeze
April 20th = starting release process, everything frozen
April 23th = release of Koha 3.8.0

IMPORTANT = perltidy process

In january IRC meeting we spoke of perltidy thing. We have a coding
guideline rule that says code must be perltidied. However, all the
existing code is not perltidied, and it's hard to mix perltidied and non
perltidied code.
Thus, we have investigated the idea of doing a "perltidy big-bang" just
when releasing 3.8.0, for all the code.

Pro:
* the code will be perltidied, the coding guideline will be applicable
* all perltidy being made at the same time, it will be easier to read
the git log. (One of the argument against perltidying is that it's a
problem for reading git history)
* doing that for a release is better for future bugfixes means that
patches will apply on 3.8 as well as on master.

Cons:
* patches that are waiting may become "does not apply" because of the
perltidy thing
* patches submitted to fix bugs in 3.8 may not apply on 3.6 easily, that
will add more work for 3.6 releases.

All in one, our conclusion was that the best solution is to do that
during a release process.
So I plan do it during 3.8 release.

(I have a (small ?) question about that : do you think I should make
only one huge commit with perltidy ? one for each directory ? one for
each file ?)

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com