[Koha-devel] Adding support for PostgreSQL, no new MySQLisms, please

Marc Balmer marc at msys.ch
Fri Mar 23 18:43:55 CET 2012

Am 23.03.12 13:27, schrieb Chris Nighswonger:
> Hi Marc,
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Marc Balmer <marc at msys.ch> wrote:
>
>> Dear Koha-Devels,
>>
>> during the Marseille Hackfest 2012 I started together with Stephane and
>> Christophe from BibLibre to add support for the PostgreSQL database.
>> The ultimate goal of this work is that Koha can run on a PostgreSQL
>> server as as good as it does now on a MySQL server.
>>
>> This mostly boils down to removing the MySQLisms in the current code,
>> which I am currently doing.  The collect-all-activity bug for this is
>> 7365, it holds dependencies to the individual bugs like 7802, 7806 etc.
>> (more to come, obviously).  There is also a wiki page
>> wiki.koha-community/wiki/PostgreSQL which I update frequently.
>>

> This is good work. I attempted to start this years ago, but soon dropped it
> due to my schedule.
>

>> This work also means that you must not add new MySQLisms in new code.

>> And please be advised that adding MySQLisms in new code will fail in QA.
>>

> While I agree with this proposition, we are not in the habit as a community
> of individual developers (or even groups of developers) "dictating" coding
> practices. The accepted procedure to follow is to present the
> change/addition via the list to solicit discussion and obtain consensus on
> the proposition.
>
> Furthermore, what "will" and "will not" pass QA is subject to
> the discretion of the community appointed QA manager, not other individuals.
>
> So I would suggest that we solicit some comment on this to give the
> community the opportunity to express its desire.

Supporting PostgreSQL is a stated goal of the Koha Community, so it is
by sheer nature of the fact that no code can be accepted that is in
violation with this goal.

It was, however, Paul Poulain, who told me that he will fail MySQLisms
in the future.  That was not my idea, I only communicated it.  And of
course it makes sense.