[Koha-devel] Adding support for PostgreSQL, no new MySQLisms, please

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 21:39:20 CET 2012

Marc,

Without concrete examples of what RDMS-specific features would be desirable
for us, I'm more inclined to reach for compliance with standards (and thus
any standards-based RDMS) than for adding support for specific new RDMS
systems.  Now, of course every RDMS is different, and will implement the
standard a little differently, so we can't code for every possible system,
but I do believe we can get most of the ones worth having if we stick with
the standards.

Are there any specific features of PostgreSQL that would lead to a
beneficial new feature for library patrons?  I know there is plenty of
literature on it's merits over MySQL, but how do those translate to
something that the users of Koha can benefit from?

Cheers,

-Ian