[Koha-devel] Proposed QA Enhancements

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Mon May 21 19:52:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

On May 21, 2012, at 1:38 PM, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> 1. I propose that we modify step 5 to read:
>
> "The patch is checked and signed-off by the QA team member. Then the bug status is set to Passed QA"
>
> This will ensure that we have clarity that the patch was, indeed, touched by a member of the QA team, as well as increasing the accuracy of QA stats in git.

+1 -- this seems like a obvious procedure documentation fix, hopefully one that just more clearly describes existing practice.

> 2. I propose that the RM be the QA of last resort. At present the stats show that the RM is doing the majority of the QA'ing. "Last resort" is a condition evoked by all members of the current QA team acknowledging that no one among them has the time, etc. to do QA on a particular patch the RM feels needs to be pushed OR by a bug remaining in the "Signed Off" status beyond a fixed time period of four weeks. This mechanism would address concerns of bug stagnation by allowing ample time for QA members to at least glance at a bug and determine of they do or do not have time to give to that bug as well as having a catch mechanism for bugs falling through w/o notice.
[snip]
> Total commits w/sign-off by non-RM QA member: 73 OR 6.7%

These go hand-in-hand.  I agree that reducing the QA burden the RM is a good thing, but in order for that to happen, I think one question that needs an answer first is how do we increase the size of the QA team?  Or to phrase it more broadly, what can we do to encourage more people to do QA, whether or not the current QA structure is used as is or changed?

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton