[Koha-devel] [DISCUSSION] Database schema & coding guidelines

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Fri May 25 18:00:22 CEST 2012

In the wiki page http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/DB_schema_bugs, an
insconsistency has been noticed:
primary keys column name can be: id (in authorised_values table), xxxid
(cityid), xxx_id (label_id), xxxId (limitId), xxxcode (branchcode),
xxxnumber (borrowernumber) => choose how to name PK and update schema
accordingly

The bug 7065 add a foreign key to the reserves table, so I think it's
time to clearly choose how we name primary keys.

The possible options are below, my opinion:

 1- id alone => will result in complexity & mistakes, this option must
be discarded
 2- xxxxid => short option, may result in hard readability.
 3- xxxxId => we haven't decided if we want UC in field names. I won't
discard this option, but does not favour it.
 4- xxx_id => _ still undecided in field names, I'm not sure it's much
better than the xxxid one
 5- xxxxnumber => number is quite long, and may result in very long
field names, which is not good. I does not like this option.

Let's start the discussion
--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com