[Koha-devel] Losing biblio.author in 3.8.5

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Thu Nov 1 01:12:52 CET 2012

At 02:27 PM 10/31/2012 -0600, Mike Hafen wrote:
>Would an SQL Update statement be more effective here?  Like:
>UPDATE biblio SET author =
>ExtractValue(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]') WHERE
>author IS NULL

Many thanks for the suggestion, but I ran into problems -- I think it's to
do with mixing a straightforward 'table/column' as in biblio.author with an
'ExtractValue' from a different table.

Here's your suggestion:

mysql> UPDATE biblio SET author =
ExtractValue(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]') WHERE
author IS NULL;
ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'marcxml' in 'field list'

So I tried a second FROM to point to the 'table/column' with marcxml FROM
biblioitems:

mysql> UPDATE biblio SET author =
ExtractValue(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]') FROM
biblioitems WHERE author IS NULL;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'FROM biblioitems WHERE author IS NULL' at line 1

No joy; so bracket the 'ExtractValue' with the table in front of it:

mysql> UPDATE biblio SET author =
(biblioitems(ExtractValue(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]'))
WHERE author IS NULL;
ERROR 1305 (42000): FUNCTION koha384.biblioitems does not exist

MySQL reads that as a FUNCTION, so put biblioitems. inside the bracket:

mysql> UPDATE biblio SET author =
ExtractValue(biblioitems.marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]')
WHERE author IS NULL;
ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'biblioitems.marcxml' in 'field list'

MySQL is really touchy ;={

I hate bothering you, but do you have thoughts on this?

Thanks - Paul

>On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Paul
><<mailto:paul.a at aandc.org>paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:
>At 08:09 PM 10/29/2012 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>
>[snip]
>
>For your reports you always have the option to query the MARCXML data
>directly, nothing should be lost.
>

>I agree -- in fact for staff, I've already written a new report replacing
>biblio.author with
>ExtractValue(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]') and
>it works perfectly.
>
>But this doesn't "correct" the MySQL db.  Where/why on earth has it gone
>wrong, and how to correct it?
>

>Could some kind soul with knowledge of using XML in MySQL assist?
>
>I'm trying to copy the XML 100$a to biblio.author where this latter is
>NULL, but:
>
>mysql> INSERT INTO biblio (biblio.author)
>     -> SELECT
> ExtractValue(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]') FROM
> biblioitems
>     -> WHERE biblio.author IS NULL;
>ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'biblio.author' in 'where clause'
>
>so I tried to be more explicit for biblio.author and now the XML has an error
>
>mysql> INSERT INTO biblio (biblio.author)
>     -> SELECT author FROM biblio,
> ExtractValue(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]') FROM
> biblioitems
>     -> WHERE biblio.author IS NULL;
>ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
>that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
>near '(marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]') FROM biblioitems
>WHERE' at line 2
>
>I have tried various combinations of LEFT|RIGHT JOIN biblio ON (
>biblioitems.biblionumber = biblio.biblionumber) but with no success so far.
>

>Thanks and regards -- Paul
>

>Hope that helps,
>Katrin

---