[Koha-devel] Losing biblio.author in 3.8.5

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Thu Nov 1 15:53:16 CET 2012

At 10:55 AM 11/1/2012 +0800, Mark Tompsett wrote:
>Greetings,
>Read the manuals, please:
><http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/update.html>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/update.html
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/join.html
>(you could look at 5.6 or 5.1 too accordingly)

Many thanks Mark.  I had in fact tried that (my previous email: "I have
tried various combinations of LEFT|RIGHT JOIN biblio ON
(biblioitems.biblionumber = biblio.biblionumber) but with no success so
far" but your "join biblioitems on
biblio.biblionumber=biblioitems.biblionumber" is good. My last 3-day course
with Oracle was 10 years ago :/

For the record (Koha 3.8.5, MySQL 5.5.24):

mysql> UPDATE biblio RIGHT JOIN biblioitems ON
biblio.biblionumber=biblioitems.biblionumber SET
biblio.author=ExtractValue(biblioitems.marcxml,'//datafield[@tag="100"]/subfield[@code>="a"]')
WHERE biblio.author IS NULL;

is fully functional. So far I have only done it on the sandbox; all
previous "reports" that relied on biblio.author are now working.

All that remains is to work out why our cataloguers cannot get the 100$a
into the correct column, so that I don't have to go through this exercise
every day.

I'll also look into whether this has cured our authority problem, and
whether or not NULL!=space(s) affects anything (or replace space[s] with
NULLs.)

Again many thanks,
Paul

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>