[Koha-devel] Koha and MariaDB - lets switch and start testing

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:44:11 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Mason James <mtj at kohaaloha.com> wrote:
> hi Folks
>
> i am just sending out an email to encourage Koha developers to switch to MariaDB for their Koha dev/testing/QA work
>
> why? its highly probable MariaDB will be the database Koha switches to when MySQL explodes, (which might be quite soon, according to some)
>
> so… lets prepare for that situation by starting to testing Koha/MariaDB now, rather than later...
> by using Koha on MariaDB as we do our everyday work, we are also testing Koha on MariaDB for no extra effort

What's the compatibility level for InnoDB and what steps are needed to
get the DB running in MariaDB?
We are concerned about this switch proposal as introducing a new DB
engine into our infrastructure won't be straight-forward.
The work on getting a persistency layer providing db-agnostic code is
the path we should follow.
Elliot, if there's anything we can help with, just let us know!

Regards
To+