[Koha-devel] dselect non-funcitonal on Ubuntu

Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel bgkriegel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:46:08 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz>wrote:

> On 2 October 2012 15:33, Mark Tompsett <mtompset at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > The “good” thing about this bug is that it only affects people who do
> git or
> > tarball installs in a multi-arch environment. That is, it affects us as
> > developers, not really the average user of Koha who has hopefully been
> > transitioned to a package install.
> >
> Not so unfortunately, most users are still using tarballs. In fact the
> vast majority of users install from tarball.
>
> Only a very small amount (and it is mostly us developers and those
> that stumble into #koha) that install from packages.
> The tarball install should always work too. The packages will do more,
> but the tarball method should not fail to install.

As to reinforce what Chris said, let me add my grain of salt:

http://koha-community.org/download-koha/ says that Koha runs on Linux,
that what you need is a LAMP server plus some Perl modules.
And if what you want is to download something, the you go to
a page filled with tarballs.

Install from ".deb" might be easier, if you use Debian or the like,
but installing from tarballs should not be impossible, nor faulty!
Koha is NOT a Debian only software.

And the same thing is about INSTALL(s) file(s). In almost 20 years
of downloading tarballs, I expect to read "the" INSTALL file to learn
how to get a program up and running. In the current situation,
you must read ALL install files, then get a cup of coffee and think
a lot, and with luck you will find a proper way (if you are not on Debian).

Bernardo