[Koha-devel] dselect non-funcitonal on Ubuntu

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Oct 2 18:37:35 CEST 2012

Mason James wrote:
> "Well, your bug report shows there are still people using dselect..:-)
> It's of course not a big surprise that dselect doesn't support multi arch."
>
> so… whats the better alternative to dselect, that we should be using (that i know nothing about?)
>
> dpkg or aptitude, i guess??

We're already using dpkg, specifically --set-selections, but dpkg
doesn't do the downloads for you.

I think this is actually a bug in apt-get, not dselect, as I think
"dselect install" just runs "apt-get dselect-upgrade" now.  dselect
may refuse to run, but I bet apt-get dselect-upgrade still might try.

I fear that the list may get too long for a command line.  I don't see
anything in "man aptitude" or "man apt-get" which suggests how to load
a package list file for installation.  At best, could we print
multiple aptitude --schedule-only install ...  lines, followed by a
plain aptitude install?

Not sure on aptitude now, because I think the last two debian release
notes have changed back to apt-get.

Hope that helps,