[Koha-devel] OPAC themes

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Thu Oct 4 21:51:45 CEST 2012

The new CCSR theme which will be included in 3.10 demonstrates how a
theme can be made responsive, so that the design and layout of a page
can change depending on the device width.

I think the "default" Koha OPAC should use this technique too.

Making this kind of change gives us the opportunity to make other
changes too, and I'd love to hear from others about what changes those
might be, whether they be ideas about the design, layout, or
structure. Some ideas off the top of my head:

- Use the Bootstrap framework both for the responsive CSS grid and for
the interface widgets (buttons, menus, etc)--but not be slavish to the
default Bootstrap design.
- Use consistent indentation rules on all templates
- Move JavaScript to the bottom of the page (recommended for efficiency)
- Address the needs of people who want to do customization via CSS and
JavaScript. To that end I'd love to hear from the people who are doing
customizations for libraries about their paint points--what aspects of
the OPAC are difficult to change.

I'd like to start working on this, but I think to do it right I think
we need some shared goals.

 -- Owen

--
Web Developer