[Koha-devel] [Koha] Current, Simple-to-install, Installed LiveCDs/LiveDVDs are okay ( was Re: Avoid LiveCDs/LiveDVDs)

Christopher Nighswonger chris.nighswonger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 05:32:46 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:

> My knowledge of upgrade 3.6.x. to 3.8.x (12 month period) is a testament
> as to why an LTS, with more complete QA (or at least full documentation)
> should be on Koha's horizon (and to pre-empt comments concerning why I
> should search git and bugs and wiki and INSTALL (all variants deb, ubuntu,
> bland) and community and devel and users and download and ... I'm sure you
> understand.)

I would have to say that your "testament" has been quite the unique one
during my involvement with the Koha community. I have never known anyone to
have quite the difficulties you have experienced. And there are many
libraries similarly sized (and perhaps larger) than the one you represent
in the community.

I would say that your difficulties have stemmed from, among many things,
the tendency to offend those you desire help from by criticizing the very
help they offer. Of late your posts have more and more taken the tone of
one who appears to think that free ("as in kittens") support ought to be
the order of the day.

It might be good for you to step back for a few moments and carefully
review each of the threads which you have initiated and attempt to discern
the trend of the tone of your responses in each.

Remember, at any point you and your employer are welcome to contract any
available support company to handle your Koha related issues, etc. There
are many in the community who are more than capable of setting up and
running an "outfit" like yours on Koha quickly and efficiently. But they do
it for a living, not for free.

My apologies if this sounds blunt, but really, you should have more tact
and be less antagonistic in your response. No one in this community owes
anything to anyone else. It is all volunteer. It has been said that
discretion is the better part of valor, and it will certainly get you more
mileage when looking for unpaid assistance.

Kind Regards,
Chris