[Koha-devel] [Koha] Some thoughts about an »official« Koha LiveCD

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 20 04:48:01 CEST 2012

Greetings,

> I was wondering if we should start to gather some ideas of what we
> would agree on to be deserving the label »official Koha LiveCD« --
> or if we would not want that label at all.

If we don't put that label, then the other even more outdated Live CD/DVD's
look like they have the same validity, which they wouldn't. I think the
label is necessary.

> - being up-to-date
[snip]
>I don't know if it is
>realistic to expect a fresh disk each month (or even two, for stable
>and oldstable)?! Would there be less stressful release cycles
>imaginable for this kind of release?

This is why I suggested that the Live CD/DVD should install as if it were
packages, then "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" with perhaps a
"sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" would be simple enough to keep it up to date.
Then a new release of 2 (stable and previous) every 6 months (upon next
release) should be the bare minimum release schedule.

> - bug tracking/ transparency
> Koha development happens mostly in the open and can be observed
> on bugzilla and git. It would be nice to see a »LiveCD« section on
> bugzilla that is assigned to the LiveCD Manager to be able to give
> feedback on bugs specific to this form of release, discuss
> development and also have some people test new releases of the disk
> before release.

+1 -- Great idea!

GPML,
Mark Tompsett