[Koha-devel] Bugs which are assigned but abandoned

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Sep 6 15:06:59 CEST 2012

Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org>
> I have created a saved search in Bugzilla for bugs which are assigned
> but which haven't been changed in over a year:
>
> http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=dorem&remaction=run&namedcmd=Old%20and%20assigned&sharer_id=12&list_id=40324
>
> If you're one of the assignees on this list and you're not really
> working on it anymore I think the bug should be returned to "NEW."

What's the benefit of that?  Feels like it might put people off
finishing work they may have started.

How about if anyone is interested in a bug and wants to know if the
assignee is "really working on it anymore" (which you can't safely
assume just because bugzilla status is unchanged, as I think many
developers also use some other bug tracker), they try leaving a
comment on the bug?  If there's no response, I don't think being
assigned prevents changing the assignee, does it?  And you can fix
a bug without it being assigned to you.

As for my entry on that list (bug 5387), I'm still interested in
implementing NISO CORE Exchange Protocol for financial communication,
but still have no funding to do that, despite trying to interest
several possible funders.  It seems a bit of a difficult enhancement
to develop until a funder is using a finance package that also
understand NISO CORE, or is using some Free and Open Source Software
finance package that we could extend at the same time.

Hope that explains,