[Koha-devel] Questions from the great wall of install...

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 08:37:51 CEST 2012

Greetings,

Thank you for the replies. Let me clarify/ask differently. And anyone else,
please feel free to jump in with answers and insights.

>> 1) When doing a packages install, a message about upgrading from 3.2 to
>> 3.4 pops up. What is the recommended upgrade path from pre-3.4 to
>> current? Is that message accurate?

> Yes, you must run that if you are coming from pre 3.4

So, the message is confusing then. Because, from what I gather from your
reply that if I had 3.0.0 and wanted to upgrade to 3.8.5 this coming
weekend, I would need to run this script, but the message implies only if
the script is only applicable if upgrading to 3.4.x specifically. And of
course, this is all prior to the web-install step, after the person has
loaded their old data into the database created by the koha-create command,
right? (Anyone feel free to jump in)

[snip 2 -- mailing configuration issues]
> I'd prefer it linked to a more generic best practices for configuring
> and running a mail server. Something that is in no way Koha specific.

Yes, that would be great. Does anyone have such links?

[ 3 - ParserDetails.ini inquiry snip]

[ 4 - Apache UTF8 configuration inquiry snip ]

>> 5) In MySQL “select variables like ‘%colla%’;” and
>> “select variables like ‘%char%’;” generate non-utf8
>> entries. Is this correct? Nothing like this is mentioned
>> in the Debian instructions for packages.

> I don't know what this question means.

Those two MySQL queries confirm how default databases and tables are
created, as far as I know. Latin1 is not UTF-8, and may cause issues with
non-Latin charaters, correct? The question was what steps, if any, need to
be taken to ensure everything is UTF-8 compliant? I didn't read the
koha-create script yet, but I assume it would have forced UTF-8 compliance
on the database generation. Am I making a bad assumption?

GPML,
Mark Tompsett