[Koha-devel] Questions from the great wall of install...

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Sep 17 12:26:34 CEST 2012

Op 16-09-12 09:23, Mark Tompsett schreef:
> 1) When doing a packages install, a message about upgrading from 3.2 to
> 3.4 pops up. What is the recommended upgrade path from pre-3.4 to
> current? Is that message accurate?

Replied about this already. It could do with editing.

> 2) I noticed that Mime::Lite (forgive wrong capitalizations) triggers
> the install of nullmailer under a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> Server. Seeing as Koha has cronjobs that do mailing, are their any
> external links (like Vimal Kumar V.’s link to a gmail relay set up)
> which would be recommended for getting those functions to work properly?

There are a billion ways to set up a mail server, but if someone finds a
good "follow this to get something secure and running" guide, I could
see linking to it being a good thing.

> 3) In the Ubuntu documentation the ordering of
> /etc/perl/XML/SAX/ParserDetails.ini is supposedly important, as “You
> must be sure you're using the XML::LibXML SAX parser, not Expat or
> PurePerl, both of which have outstanding bugs with pre-composed
> characters.” During a packages installation, I decided to look at the
> ini file, and found it wasn’t in the recommended order. Is this a
> problem with the packages or has this point become irrelevant?

It's never been an issue, I think it stopped being such with the release
of Squeeze.

> 4) Does the packages installation method set up apache2 correctly, or does
> AddCharset UTF-8 .utf8
> AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
> Still need to be added to a configuration file and a restart issued?
> It’s not in the Debian instructions for packages.

It's not set by the packages. I wouldn't include it in instructions, I'd
include it in the package configuration.

I'd also note the manual for it:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset

> This directive specifies a default value for the media type charset parameter (the name of a character encoding) to be added to a response if and only if the response's content-type is either text/plain or text/html.
> AddDefaultCharset should only be used when all of the text resources to which it applies are known to be in that character encoding and it is too inconvenient to label their charset individually. One such example is to add the charset parameter to resources containing generated content, such as legacy CGI scripts, that might be vulnerable to cross-site scripting attacks due to user-provided data being included in the output. Note, however, that a better solution is to just fix (or delete) those scripts, since setting a default charset does not protect users that have enabled the "auto-detect character encoding" feature on their browser.

> 5) In MySQL “select variables like ‘%colla%’;” and “select variables
> like ‘%char%’;” generate non-utf8 entries. Is this correct? Nothing like
> this is mentioned in the Debian instructions for packages.

I've not noticed it being a problem. Test it and see if it's an issue?
Also, if it was determined to be useful, it'd be better off being set in
the package's mysql configuration rather that putting it instructions.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.