[Koha-devel] [Koha] 3.8.4 staff main page

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Mon Sep 17 18:36:11 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:
> At 12:14 PM 9/17/2012 +0200, Robin Sheat wrote:
>>
>> Op 15-09-12 18:51, Paul schreef:
>> > I am unaware of an *easy* way to write anything in js to accomplish my
>> > staff's request.  However, here's the fix (Mark, if you think this could
>> > be of use to the community as you suggest above, please disseminate it
>> > as an enhancement, bug, whatever ...) which was remarkably easy, once I
>> > found the relevant code. FYI, Firebug does not appear to be of much use
>> > tracking down things like these.
>>
>> Mark is right, your fix is a bad idea. Here is how to do it properly.
>

> Robin - tnx for taking the time to reply.
>
> What value of "bad"? A simple, fully functional, easy, reversible, move (not
> rewrite) of a single line of code, is bad?

Ahh... herein lies the song of the siren... "Just one little change
won't hurt, now will it?" And before you know it, you've heavily
modified your templates one little change at a time and you have a
special form of punishment to undergo at upgrade time. Been there,
done that.

Yes... I know... "It won't happen to me that way...." :-) The pathway
of Koha lies strewn with the bodies of those who swore they'd only
make one template change, so at least tie yourself to the mast of the
ship as you sail through those waters.

Kind Regards,
Chris