[Koha-devel] Suggestions to enhance the koha marc editor

Karam Qubsi karamqubsi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 18:28:58 CEST 2012

Hi all

I think that It's true  the marc editor that comes with KOHA is not so
flexible
 * I hope to find some solutions and I have some suggestions for the
developers  .*..

I'm talking as a librarian (cataloger ), I prefer to have some shortcuts in
using the marc editor in koha for example :

   - shortcuts for movement to the next field ( pressing "tab" moving you
   to the next button not to the next writable field . so I think it's better
   to make it moving the cataloger to the next field .
   - duplication of a field could be done by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (as
   a suggestion with it's contain )
   - deletion of a field could be by pressing CTRL+K  -(as suggestion)
   - deletion of the contain of field ( empty it ) could be by CTRL+D (as
    a suggestion)

 I don't know if there is shortcuts for these purposes (or other ) please
guide me :)

About what Ola says I think that is possible to make the editor more
flexible with keeping the structure that koha build by the following :
first when editing the framework we will see a new field ( I drew it ^_^ )
: in the attached file named koha 1.jpg
you will find a new field named AV.LVL ( availability level ) or we can
name it priority level , so that field have three values 1 , 2 , 3

   - the fields that all the time use will take value "1 "
   - the fields that may use but less than 1 will take value "2"
   - and the fields that may use but less than 1 and 2 will take value "3"

I will explain more please be patient :

in the second attached file named "koha 2.jpg" you will see the cataloger
page and you will find that I drew something new in the left of the screen .

so all the fields that take the 1 value will be displayed as it used to be
in the central of the screen because it's the most used by the librarian
(as he defined it)

all the fields take the 2 value will be displayed in the left of the screen
, " the available fields to add from the framework "
so he need this fields to be under his hand to add , because he use them most
the time but not like the (fields with 1 value)

and if the cataloger click on the *more *button he will see the fields that
could be added that was take the value "3".

What benefits ? :

the cataloger will handle with materials with the most used fields using
"tap " he will move over the fields and fill it with the information in a
flexible way . he will not rollover fields he don't need to

So the cataloger will determine

   1. the fields he always use and
   2. the fields most of the time he use and
   3. the fields could be used

   1. the first one there is no need to be added it will be displayed by
   default.

   2. adding fields  take  the "2" value by one click to select it and (
   press ) add button ( I didn't drew it )
   3. adding the fields  with the "3" value by clicking the "more " button
   and select what he need then click " add"

by this way I think koha will have a flexible and easy marc editor every
one can handle with

we can discuss this and make more suggestion from you :)

thank you for your patient .

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Ola Agha <olaagha87 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear sirs, hello
>
> I have been dealing with Horizon 8.0 as a library management system for
> almost three years, however now I’m installing koha and I’ve been going
> through the system, experiencing its features, and exploring its
> characteristic.
>
> The only aspect I’ve found where Horizon is more flexible is the MARC edit.
>
> In koha you can’t add tags nor subfields unless you’ve add them in the
> framework first,
>
> The cataloger might face different cases when he find himself in need to
> add tags or subfields that do not exist in the framework he’s working by.
>
> We can’t edit the framework every time we need to add a tag or a subfield,
> especially which we might not use this tags with all the records we’re
> cataloging.
>
> Best regards

> Koha at lists.katipo.co.nz

*Karam Qubsi*
Arabic Koha Support Team
The founder of Wikibrary (The Arabic Libraries And Information Science
Encyclopedia )

*Email: karamqubsi at gmail.com*
*Skype : karam.qubsi*
*Mobile: +963 991 264 020*
*Viber <http://viber.com/> / Tango <http://www.tango.me/> : +963 991 264 020
*
*Wikibrary website : http://wikibrary.org*
*Wiki and forum for Arabic Koha :
http://koha.wikibrary.org<http://wikibrary.org/>
*
*كرم قبسي.*
كوها العربي ـ فريق الدعم
مؤسس ويكيمكتبات ( الموسوعة العربية للمكتبات والمعلومات )