[Koha-devel] New 3.6 and 3.8 packages - a note

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Sep 25 12:50:49 CEST 2012

Op 25-09-12 21:56, MJ Ray schreef:
> I think that the current 3.8 packages won't work on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> (lucid) or Debian 5 (lenny, currently also known as oldstable).

The packages don't support lenny as far as I'm concerned, so I'm OK with
that. 10.04 we should perhaps support, I'm not sure. There is a new LTS
out, but it's not all that old yet.

However this will be a problem with the git and tarball versions also,
although the make process should warn in that case.

Solutions I see are:
1. packaging a newer libdatetime-perl - a bit of a bandaid but not
without precedent,
2. rolling this patch in to the packaged version - I'm not a huge fan of
the codebases diverging like that if I can help it, though it's happened
temporarily in the past but only with package related parts,
3. ignore it and revise our supported versions - keeping in mind that
it's probably acceptable to have a different, and more limited, set of
those versions for packages vs. the tarball distribution.

1 and 2 I can do pretty quickly, 3 can be considered to be done already
if it's best :)

Of 1 and 2 I lean towards 1. It'll also help people deploying
tarball/git versions.

Robin.