[Koha-devel] dselect non-funcitonal on Ubuntu

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 19:50:12 CEST 2012

Greetings,

Minor follow up.

>  I feel this is a big issue: we shouldn't be encouraging people in bad
> security habits, like to run random scripts as root or let them sudo.

You did a koha install WITHOUT using sudo or logging in as root?
How did you configure apache, mysql, and the hundreds of perl
dependencies?

> But they don't need to trust us to run Koha -
> I've installed it without root before,
> although it wasn't pretty

You successfully did a "site" install?!
How did you configure the hundreds of perl dependencies?

> So, please, avoid a "sudo ./ubuntu-install.sh" or similar.

Fine. However, this multi-arch problem in Ubuntu may trickle into Debian,
likely wheezy. We tried your suggested tweaks to a command line, and nothing
really solved the problem. Writing documentation to disable multi-arch seems
like the wrong way to address it, because we know people don't always read
carefully. Your "worst-case" idea seems like the best and only option given
the constraints (simple for users, simple for documenters, good for
security)

Take a look at bug 8840. I think this script could be generalized to include
Debian. However, since the problem was Ubuntu, and not Debian, we didn't.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett