[Koha-devel] Koha numbering

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Apr 7 02:43:48 CEST 2013

Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:

>At 12:15 AM 4/7/2013 +0200, Paul Poulain wrote:
>[snip]
>>The poll would have the following options :
>>  * keep 3. "forever"
>>  * keep the 3. until a major functional change is made, like
>introducing
>>a new search engine. The numbering change is decided by the Release
>Manager.
>>  * drop the 3. and use 14.0, 14.1, 14.2, 16.0, 16.1,...
>>  * adopt a numbering style with YYYY-MM (2013-11, 2014-05,
>2014-11,...)
>>QUESTION TO THIS LIST, before the poll: for the YYY-MM style, how to
>>number the maintaince releases ?
>
>[Based on Ubuntu, clearly announced ahead of time, predictable for
>planning
>purposes in the long term] the year/months are on a six month cycle
>April/October: 12.04(LTS), 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, 14.04(LTS), 14.10 ...
>etc.
>[And for anyone wanting to be at the cutting edge there are beta and
>alphas
>leading up to the releases.]
>
>There are occasional "maintenance" releases in between, at least for
>the
>LTS releases -- e.g. at the moment, a year after 12.04 there is a
>12.04.2(LTS) -- just a simple "dot digit" on the end, like Koha. But
>it's
>12.04 plus security patches only (for the server edition) with no
>"enhancements."
>
>How many libraries using Koha really look at "new releases" every month
>or
>so? We are based on 3.8.5 which was state of the art when I put it into
>
>production six months ago. Koha is up to what? 3.8.11 plus 3.10.4 plus
>3.12
>beta plus 3.14 in the offing. And my system isn't even a "current
>stable
>release" any more ...
>
>Maybe the *numbering* of releases is less important than the *number*
>of
>releases? Would more time for testing and Q.A. lead to a more stable
>platform, say on a six monthly basis? Would it tempt more libraries to
>examine enhancements? ... and please, these are just questions,
>certainly
>not criticism.

We only ever release enhancements every 6 months.  The monthly releases are purely bug fixes.  What you describe is what we do, 6 monthly feature releases. And yes 3.8.11 is 3.8.5 plus 6 months of bugfixes.  As 3.8.5 was 3.8.0 plus 5 months of bug fix releases.

Maybe you have just misunderstood the current system.

Chris