[Koha-devel] Koha numbering

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Apr 8 02:25:44 CEST 2013

I agree with Marcel and Owen. I don't think it's a good idea to jump from
version 3.x to 14.x, and I think version numbering is an important
discussion topic, since it affects how Koha is perceived by current and
future users.

Having worked in libraries for the past 6-7 years as library staff and not a
developer, I can state with a high level of confidence that consistency
almost always matters more in libraries than software conventions; it is
logically consistent that version 3 be followed by 4. Like Owen said, if
that varies, there are going to be questions. While we might debate the
merits of different version numbering systems, I don't think we're going to
be the ones answering these questions in most cases. They're going to be
aimed at trainers, salespeople, and technical staff who might not be
developers. With the exception of Nicole, the majority of these people might
throw up their hands and say, "I have no idea why it went from 3 to 14. It's
weird." In many cases, no questions might be asked. In either case, people
might just make negative judgements about the reliability, predictability,
and transparency of Koha, especially if the "reason" for changing version
numbering systems isn't made explicitly and readily available.

Personally, I think it would make Koha look bad. The more often a Koha
front-person says "I don't know" or "that's weird", the worse that person
looks and the worse Koha looks.

I think the growing consensus of software users, interface designers, and
sellers is "don't make me think". It should be intuitive.

That said, maybe I'm projecting a bit of my own biases. Maybe there would be
some confused conversation about why Koha went from 3 to 14, but after the
majority started using 14 and upgrading from there, it might not be an
issue, because that idea of consistency would be regained.

As for whether or not users and libraries even look at version numbers...I
imagine that the vast majority of people interacting directly with Koha
never notice them. They don't appear in the OPAC and in the staff client
it's tucked away in the system preferences and About page.

The ones caring are likely to be the ones who manage Koha in-house or the
people who liaise with support companies. In these cases, maybe it would be
easy enough to say, "Oh, the community just decided to change how it
numbered each version", but I think this discussion will quickly be lost to
time and the average Koha user/developer will have no idea why it changed
and as Owen said...I imagine people might wonder if/what they're missing by
going from 3.x to 14.x.

For me, I think the most logical end to this discussion is to decide on a
goal/trigger to switch to 4.x, and to just continue 3.x until that
goal/trigger is reached.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems P/L