[Koha-devel] Koha.next: Consolidate OPAC themes?

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 17:55:15 CEST 2013

I think the key thing to do is to provide a consistent and well documented
set of template variables that do not change within any given version.
This is a pretty common practice for many CMS and other templatable
systems.  That way, we always know what parts we have to work with.

This would greatly increase the flexibility of Koha, as multiple templates
(including local ones) could be developed and maintained by consulting only
a single, slowly changing resource (the template API documentation).  We
should also keep an eye here towards backwards-compatibility, so template
maintainers have more time to adapt their work.

Out of the box, I think Koha should support a single template.  Any other
templates that other entities wish to maintain are just fine, but I think
the release team shouldn't have to split their attention between multiple
templates.

My $0.02, adjusted for their recent market value.

-Ian