[Koha-devel] koha-* scripts revisited

Chris Hall chrish at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Apr 24 04:34:29 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:36:09AM +1200, Robin Sheat wrote:
> My feelings on making koha-create more atomic are that this might
> require a rewrite in Perl to really do it. Ideally for every operation
> performed, we would store the undo operation onto a list. If we
> encounter a failure, we play back the undo operations to get everything
> back to the initial state. It probably won't be perfect, but I think
> it'll be a huge improvement.

I would like koha-remove to be able to deal with partially removed
instances, currently it runs as `set -e` meaning if any of the remove
operations fail it will give up on the rest.

This may be as simple as removing the `set -e` flag.

Once this is done dealing with a koha-create failure is as simple as
running koha-remove on the instance you just failed to created, it may
also be possible for koha-create to automatically call koha-remove on
such an error by using the trap feature of bash.

The disadvantage to this approach is that it could remove files that
were not created by koha-create, although such files would most likely
be stomped over by koha-create anyway so I am not sure if this would be
an issue or not.

Cheers,
~Chris Hall