[Koha-devel] RSS method for checking and warning about current installed version

Christopher Nighswonger chris.nighswonger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 02:57:42 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Paul A <paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com>wrote:

>  At 08:55 PM 12/3/2013 -0200, Tomas Cohen Arazi wrote:
>
> My main concern is people having Koha instances that already reached EOL
> and/or are not supported anymore. How to do it is the topic in discussion.
> I like the idea of a button (maybe in the form of a tab in the about page
> ;-) and maybe with a disclamer notice and a confirmation button). Having a
> syspref defaulting to "disabled" could work if this is troublesome in
> several jurisdictions.
>

> I'm referring to professionals who know full well what they are doing with
> their library systems, we don't need the security implications of any
> "preference" having external file editing capability. If amateurs need
> reminding, that's another question that should be available during
> installation, not afterwards.
>
> Look around the landscape: does perl, or apache, or mysql, or zebra, or
> etc, etc... do this?

I'll bet your favorite browser has the option to notify you of updates.
Furthermore, I'll bet you allow it to.

The last time I did a fresh Ubuntu install, (a few weeks ago) I was offered
the option of automagic updates (either full or just security). I'd bet
Debian has this option too (probably other distros as well).

So I'm not sure I see the sky falling yet. Not to knock security concerns,
but this is well established practice as far as I can see. And I think
that's the sort of thing we're talking about here.

FTR: I'd love to see some sort of notification system implemented.

Kind Regards,
Chris