[Koha-devel] Architectural goals for 3.16

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Wed Dec 18 17:38:54 CET 2013

Le 10/12/2013 01:59, Galen Charlton a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> For discussion, here is a list of some of some things I would like to
> see in 3.16.  This is not meant to be complete; please feel free to use
> this thread both to comment on my goals and to suggest goals that you're
> personally willing to advocate for -- and by advocate for, I mean that
> you and/or the institutions who support your Koha activity are ready and
> willing to take concrete steps to help implement it.  I ask that if all
> you have is an idea -- no matter how good! -- but not any concrete code
> or plans to have it be ready in the next few months -- please start a
> different thread.
I'd like to see as many of the 70 improvements or new features already
submitted by BibLibre (plus more coming) being signed-off, QAed and
pushed (Sorry if I appear a little bit rude)

Same thing for the 120 improvements or new features not submitted by
BibLibre and that are in the same status.

> [1] Deprecation of the GRS-1 mode for Zebra.
+1

> Obstacles: the default UNIMARC indexing rules for the DOM filter need
> more testing.  There is also an ongoing discussion about the desired
> semantics for the Any index, which at present behaves differently with
> the current DOM indexing rules as compared with GRS-1.
And BibLibre should be a leader here, I apologize because we aren't

> Upgrade considerations: in order to truly deprecate the GRS-1 filter, at
> some point there will have to be a forced reindexing upon upgrade.
Note that when upgrading from 3.6 to 3.8 (iirc), one also had to run a
separate script to remove items from marcxml, so having a "complex"
upgrade is "uncommon" but not "never happened"

> [2] Use DBIx::Class to deploy the database schema for new installations.
No opinion, because I'm not sure I see all the consequences.

> [3] Relaunch PostgreSQL support
As a long term goal, I'm fine with that, but I don't think I'll invest
any time for now. Better adding DBIx::Class support imho.

> [4] Upgrade the version of Bootstrap we use to 3.x.
+1
> As much as I'm personally not exactly a fan of the changes that were
> made to the CSS class names, we're much better off if we bite the bullet
> now and update both staff and OPAC to use the new version of Bootstrap
> rather than, two years down the road, finding out that we're completely
> stuck on Boostrap 2.3.
+10

--
Paul POULAIN - BibLibre