[Koha-devel] Bug 3069

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Sat Feb 16 23:51:01 CET 2013

This bug refers to the Z39.50 "reservoir" which cannot be [easily] emptied.
A quick look in MySQL shows that we have:
mysql> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM import_records;
+----------+
| COUNT(*) |
+----------+
|   148357 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

and the exact same in import_biblios (none in either import_items or
import_record_matches) -- this relates to 29,410 valid biblios in our
catalogue.

mysql> SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'import_records'; tells me that this table
has a Data_length of 1040508672 or just over 1 Gbyte.

Is there a downside to deleting this data? [TRUNCATE TABLE import_records;
same for import_biblios] *Limited* testing in my sandbox has shown no
downside or side effects.

The upside is a measurable improvement in the search time from
koha-admin/cgi-bin/koha/cataloguing/addbooks.pl, and speed/size
improvements for backups.

My cataloguers tell me that they never use the "reservoir" as it only
corresponds to historical data from previous multi-Z39.50 server searches
from which they already selected the "best fit" and thought that they had
discarded the rest. As an aside, I'd be curious to know how other libraries
use this data.

Thanks and best regards,
Paul