[Koha-devel] Database updates

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Jan 2 19:10:27 CET 2013

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Database_updates#Using_the_new_update_procedure

>> > Please be sure to read those instructions and follow them in the
future.
>> Hi Jared, (and happy new year everyone !)
>>
>> How should be handle pending patches with a DB update ? (question asked
>> for each role : submitter, signer, QAer)
>>
>> Should someone update the patch to use the new DB update schema ? if no,
>> how should/can we test patches with the old schema ?
>>
>> ( Thanks for pushing this patch though ! )
>

> Once the needed follow-ups are signed off and the feature is re-pushed,
it will be the responsibility of the QAer to copy the database update from
updatedatabase.pl to a new-style update for SQL-only updates (for complex
updates that are not simply copy-paste, we will probably have to send the
patch back to the author for revision). For bugs that are not signed off,
the author will need to move the database update, unless someone else
volunteers to do it for them.

> Also, I have a correction to Chris's response: we will not need two
separate sets of DB changes because I will be copying every non-linear
update into updatedatabase.pl. That was the reason for the CheckVersion()
routine.

Hi

While that is a good idea, and will mean the packages aren't totally busted
on master. A commit that has both the old safe updatedatabase and the new
system is no use for cherry-picking to stable.  It won't apply. So we will
need a commit with just the bug fix, then another 2 commits, one doing old
db update, one doing new, and I will just cherry pick the old one.

IE if something is needed for 3.10.x or 3.8.x it can't combine the db
update part of the patch with the rest, for it to be able to apply.

Chris