[Koha-devel] QA: Passed QA queue

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Jul 2 15:12:47 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Marcel de Rooy <M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl>wrote:

> Saw this note from Paul on bug 7167.
> Probably, your answer may be of interest to more people. We can all see 40
> patches in that queue, but we do not know your strategy in handling them
> (apart from the fact that it is different from that of former RMs).
> But I could have missed something :)

It's quite simple -- I do not consider my job as being one of automatically
pushing any patch that reaches the passed-QA status.  I will take the time
I need to review and test nearly [1] every patch, and in particular any
like bug 7167 that proposes a significant change.  Bigger patches take more
time, especially those that have architectural implications.  The revamp of
the schema update mechanism proposed in bug 7167 has been under discussion
for a long time, and is not IMO one that should be automatically pushed,
especially given that it's been quite a while since patches have been
rejected simply because of merge conflicts with updatedatabase.pl.

Further, I *do* view my job to include responsibility for final review of
architectural changes to Koha.  A patch that adds a necessary improvement
to Koha but whose implementation is lacking or would present long-term
maintenance issues is going to receive enhanced scrutiny from me.

There are other major architectural patches, most recently and most notably
DBIx::Class support, that I have been focusing my effort on; bug 7167 in my
estimation is not at the same level of priority.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton