[Koha-devel] RFC: Plugins QA

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Jun 4 01:44:44 CEST 2013

Paul schreef op za 01-06-2013 om 17:37 [-0400]:
> 3.8 is now "old stable", 3.10 is "stable"
> and 3.12 "development" is advertized

3.12 isn't development, it's the current release. Only things with odd
numbers in the minor version number are development.

3.12, 3.10, and 3.8 are all supported releases*, although as they get
older, they get (and need) less and less attention. If you want a truly
LTS release supported for five years, you need to either do it yourself
or find someone who wants to. As it's a free software community, these
things are driven by what people want combined with the effort/resources
they're able to commit to it. Currently the focus of these efforts is in
favour of regular updates on a reliable schedule. Not enough people want
an LTS who are willing to stump up the time or money.

Basically, we're doing what's the best match for what our clients want.
It's good luck, but not a requirement, that this might align with what's
best for you. If it doesn't, then you need to do something about that,
and expecting us to change our currently-working methods isn't likely to
be it.

Typically we have our libraries running on one of the three releases
above. They can upgrade once or twice a year as they see fit. We
strongly discourage them from sitting on an unsupported release for too
long, as it becomes harder to get back to being current again, and are
unlikely to get fixes to anything that's not critical.

* though packaging is typically only done for the actual development
(3.13), the current (3.12) and the previous (3.10) releases, due to
demand and effort. Also, some of your comments were taken from the
Debian installation wiki page and are out of date. I've corrected those.
It's getting time I did a rewrite of that whole page. There are comments
in there from the 3.4 days, when the packages were very much
experimental.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.