[Koha-devel] QA: Language material in install/mysql/data

Marcel de Rooy M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl
Fri Jun 14 10:04:04 CEST 2013

Hi QA team, TM and RM, and other devs:

A question on patches dealing with language dependent files in subdirs of installer/data/mysql, including sample notices, frameworks and lots of smaller stuff.

With 9 language folders here, it seems to me that we should not demand developers to edit files in all these subdirectories too. Note also that lots of things there need to be translated too.

Currently, there are already lots of differences between those language folders; in some language folders system prefs e.g. get specific values. And I suspect that some are being maintained more actively than others.

A good improvement recently was the approach for systempreferences. They are inserted with the general sysprefs.sql in the root folder, and optionally updated by a translation in the language folder. So the pref comes always in, translation depending on others. (I think we should extend that approach to the other files now: insert in English, only update translatable things in the other languages. Example: only update name, title and content for a notice, only liblibrarian and libopac for frameworks, etc. )

For some folders there are already 'informal' maintainers. Couldn't we just formalize that someone can step forward to maintain such a folder and let devs just propose changes to the general files and/or the en-folder ?

In QA we would no longer allow a patch to make changes in the other languages.

Thanks for considering this.

Marcel

PS

I wrote a patch myself recently with a sample notice (only for English). I do not like to add this English in all the language files. I was looking now at bug 9921 too; I think it should not touch all these frameworks. Lots of other examples can easily be found on BZ.