[Koha-devel] RFC: Convergence

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 16:31:35 CEST 2013

I've been thinking and sharing with some an idea I want to share with all
of you.

Since I stepped into Koha's world I've been focused (sometimes obsessively,
I should admit) on the user POV. Specifically on the ways to deploy,
maintain and finally use koha.

We are now encouraging people to use the packages, and the way of
using/deploying Koha has been slowly diverging from the tarball/git and
packages setup. Also, the QA process itself takes both approaches appart.
Think of the tarball installing DOM as default and packages not even
supporting it as an example of what I mean. Think of memcached support, and
so on. Once something is pushed, there has to be a 'packages version' for
that: twice the work for everyone!

We have reached a point at which we have a really nice set of daily
maintainance tools: the koha-* scripts, and a sound install schema that
supports multiple instances. Or a single default one if we built a 'koha'
package that automates its creation, which I think is WIP right now.

My proposal is that koha-* commands shouldn't be Debian (.deb) specific.
And make the install schema used for packages the default/standard on
git/tarball install. The same should happen to multiple instances setups.

Both the users and devs should benefit from such a move.

Thanks for your constructive comments on the subject!
Regards
To+

P.S. I belive this is a mid/long term discussion, I'm no way trying to make
any sudden move. I just belive this is the way to have the time for a
needed planification.