[Koha-devel] OPAC dir structure redesign

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Mon May 6 13:26:10 CEST 2013

I'd like to interject here again the idea of creating a stable API for
template variables, so that if people feel the need to template out there
out theme, they can do so without having to re-engineer it mid-release.
Any changes to this API would need to be well publicized between major
releases.

In order to accomplish this, the following steps would need to occur:

   1. Identify the variables demanded by each page
   2. Consolidate variables that are shared into centralized
   includes/objects
   3. Fill in any missing variables or generalize where appropriate
   4. Document

The Koha community could make it a policy to only officially support one
theme with the main release, but any other institution, entity or
individual could maintain and distribute their own theme customized for
particular needs.  They would only need to follow the change log in the API
documentation to do so, and would only need to do the maintenance work at
most once every 6 months.

Cheers,

-Ian