[Koha-devel] OPAC dir structure redesign

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Mon May 6 14:30:17 CEST 2013

> While we are reorganizing things, it might be nice to reorganize the YUI
> files so that we organize them the same way that the official YUI package is
> organized.

If I get my way and we replace the prog theme with a new default
theme, then YUI is going away altogether. For anyone who hasn't heard,
I've been working on a new OPAC theme based on Bootstrap. Some
screenshots of my current progress are here:

http://zivotdesign.com/zp/Koha/bootstrap-opac-redesign/

These are *very* early in the process, based primarily on CCSR for the
general look and feel. My goal here is to end up with a theme that
feels more modern, is fully-responsive, and which is maintains all the
functionality of the current prog theme.

Here are the steps I have envisioned for this theme once it is finished:

1. Replace CCSR with this new theme. I suggest this because I suspect
there are fewer libraries out there with extensive CCSR
customizations. Replacing CCSR with a new theme that offers a similar
look and feel will be less surprising.

2. Announce the sunsetting of the prog theme. Give libraries plenty of
time to prepare to switch to CCSR for their customizations.

3. Drop prog and make CCSR default, perhaps renaming it "default" for
clarity? Or give it another Koha-specific name?

For what it's worth, I also vote that we do *not* remove the ability
to create new custom themes.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer