[Koha-devel] Memcached support in packages

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Wed May 29 01:58:21 CEST 2013

Paul schreef op di 28-05-2013 om 19:48 [-0400]:
> Isn't this really an o/s question?  If it isn't installed and enabled
> by
> Debian, RH, CentOs, Ubuntu, whatever, by default, why should an
> open-source
> install such as Koha usurp the o/s?

We're specifically talking about the packages here, so RH, CentOs, etc
don't count.

Part of the goal of them is to provide an easy best-practice
configuration, so having a recommendation/requirement of memcache is
totally within the bounds of this.

> Can Koha give some performance statistics? Can Koha be fairly certain
> that
> nothing else is compromised (and I'm pretty certain that nothing 'bad'
> will
> happen.) If not (and respectfully to you Robin), isn't it a wee bit
> arrogant to install it and then say "you can edit koha-conf.xml" and
> turn
> it off?

We have a testing cycle for this. If it's discovered that it causes
problems in some set of circumstances, we can either fix that case,
revisit our plan to include it, or whatever is appropriate.

> I just take it for granted -- but have
> wondered why the various o/s's don't include it automatically.

That wouldn't make sense. Applications have to be made to work with it.
There's no point running it if nothing you're using can use it.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.