[Koha-devel] "IP address has changed. Please log in again"

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Thu May 30 00:58:37 CEST 2013

Galen Charlton schreef op wo 29-05-2013 om 09:07 [-0700]:
> I'll ask the same question here that I asked in the bug: Given the
> continued existence of things like web proxy farms that can result in
> REMOTE_ADDR changing from request to request, are there any
> improvements in the state of the art for anti-session-hijacking
> measures that would reasonably allow us to remove the IP address check
> (or implement a syspref like Amit's patch tried)?

Standard session cookies combined with running over HTTPS is really the
only way. It comes down to threat modelling really: is session hijacking
something that you feel you care about? (It's perfectly reasonable to
say either yes, no, or only on the staff client, depending on your
circumstances.)

To make it a bit more secure we could use a different session for the
staff client vs. the OPAC. At the moment we use the same for both, so
someone capturing a session cookie from a staff member logged into the
OPAC can use that to access the staff client.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.