[Koha-devel] RFC: Plugins QA

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Thu May 30 18:00:00 CEST 2013

Hi, with the inclusion of a plugin system we provide a convenient way of
injecting functionalities to Koha. I was about to write one myself for
implementing some cute graphics (jqPlot) and circulation statistics we had
in our 3.0.x fork prior to our 3.8 upgrade.

Then I came to think this should indeed be proposed as a new Koha feature
(for which there's even a bug). I ended up thinking:

- Plugins provide a convenient way to deploy some stuff early (which I need
for our 3.12 move), like stuff won't make it into a specific release.
- If I succeed I should post it somewhere so people can use it.
- There's not a convenient way for it to get QAed so we cannot provide any
warranty (not legal but in terms of confidence on Koha as a product) it
won't break sensitive stuff (a reports plugin sounds harmless but what
limits are imposed to plugins? I guess none).

So, I belive we should discuss the creation of a sort of "Official plugins
repository" where QAed plugins could be uploaded.

I'm thinking out loud and not an native english speaker, so I'm sorry if
this is not understandable. Just let me know :-D

Regards
To+