[Koha-devel] "IP address has changed. Please log in again"

Michael Hafen michael.hafen at washk12.org
Fri May 31 00:07:13 CEST 2013

Please don't force HTTPS in the software.  I'll explain why I'm making that
request here.

First, it's easy to force HTTPS in the apache config for the vhosts, I've
done this.  It's a simple matter of a redirect on the port 80 vhost pointed
at the https vhost.  This is where certificates would likely be configured
anyway, so I think this is a reasonable way to do it.

I've been playing with setting up a web server farm, with a fail-over pair
of reverse-proxy servers as the front.  As a performance measure
communication between the proxies and the worker nodes is done over plain
http (because I trust my LAN enough for that).  I ran into a problem with
my tests though where a web app forced https in the software, it produced a
redirect loop, because the worker would respond with a http meta redirect
to the https port but the web browser was already using that port.  Luckly
I would turn off that feature in the software.

I understand that forcing https in the software is a good security
measure.  I'm just asking that it be controlled by a system preference, or
be made an optional section in the apache config file in consideration of
those who would like to avoid the overhead added by https.

Thanks for your consideration.