[Koha-devel] An idea for revamping the issuing rules system

Kyle Hall kyle.m.hall at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 16:00:38 CET 2013

Hey all, this is something I've been thinking about for a while now, and I
should probably throw it out there to see if it's just a terrible idea ; )

Right now we have 5 tables dealing with circulation rules. I think we can
add much greater flexibility *and* simplicity to how we store and select
rules.

Instead of having the assortment of branch/patron/item, and then the
columns for the rules themselves. what if we had just one table with the
following schema:

branchcode
categorycode
itemtype
rule_name
rule_value

For example, if every rule right now has a checkout length of 14, but have
different max issue quantities, we need to set the checkout length to 14
for each and every combination. With this schema we could have just:
*, *, *, issuelength, 14
*,*, BOOK, maxissueqty, 20
*,*,DVD, maxissueqty, 5
*,*,CD, maxissueqty, 10