[Koha-devel] OPAC theme defaults for 3.14

Mathieu Saby mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr
Thu Oct 24 23:25:50 CEST 2013

Hi
Congrats everybody for the work done during KohaCon and Hackfest!

I haven't followed the development of Boostrap opac and Queryparser, but
I give you my personal opinion. Maybe I don't understand things well...

For the 3 OPAC themes :
Some patchs recently made for UNIMARC XSLT were only pushed in prog
template, because we did not knew that it needed to be too in CCSR (was
it needed?) and in Bootstrap.
So, maintaining 3 themes for a long time is obviously impossible, as
only a few weeks after the push of Boostrap them, there is already
little discrepancies between Boostrap and prog theme :(
I would appreciate a clear rule for developpers making changes to OPAC
templates, including XSLT (and for QA team) to take into account
Bootstrap AND prog (and maybe CCSR?), for the 3.14 version at least.

If you want to announce the death of prog and CCSR for 3.16 it is not a
problem for me, as we don't really like it, and made huge changes to it
with css and jquery hacks.
BUT I'm not a big fan for saying that Boostrap theme will be the default
theme in 3.14. It is too fresh. The only time I tried to test it, it
crashed on my VM ;-)

Maybe the rule could be : in 3.15 make your changes for Bootstrap first,
and port them to prog and CCSR for maintenance releases including 3.14 ?

For the Queryparser : It need to be more documented, so that we know
exactly what to do to edit or improve config settings, and what behavior
is expected.
There is a big RFC page, but now that it is include in Koha's code, we
need a different documentation, more directly usable by developers, AND
by librarians.
For example, I made a patch adding new indexes in Search.pm. From
Jared's comments, I guess something is needed in queryparser.yaml, but I
don't know exactly what.

Idem : what about a rule asking to make changes to QP conf first in
3.15, and in the other parts of Search.pm only for maintenance releases
including 3.14 ?

For DOM and GRS-1 : Consider that DOM UNIMARC never worked properly, for
us DOM is a really fresh thing. Nobody has really tried DOM UNIMARC in a
real size Koha, only in VM. I would like to be sure that DOM is not
somehow causing some regression.
Especially, I wonder if DOM is not going to make the search more "noisy"
(we say that in french, not sure in english).
If so, some improvements must be made before GRS-1 is deprecated. For
example something in the spirit of Bug  8962.

Regards,
M. Saby

ILe 24/10/2013 22:48, Joy Nelson a écrit :
> I agree with Nicole.  One release cycle is probably not adequate.
>
> -joy
>

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com
> <mailto:nengard at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org
>     <mailto:oleonard at myacpl.org>> wrote:
>

>         I don't want to have to maintain them both any longer than
>         necessary,
>         but I recognize that porting over customizations could be
>         time-consuming.
>

>     I think we need some sort of announcement that this is officially
>     going to be deprecated so that we have time to port the
>     customizations from both themes, but I don't think that one
>     release cycle is enough.
>
>     Nicole

> --
> Joy Nelson
> Director of Migrations
>
> ByWater Solutions <http://bywatersolutions.com>
> Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
> Office: Fort Worth, TX
> Phone/Fax (888)900-8944
> What is Koha? <http://bywatersolutions.com/what-is-koha/>

Mathieu Saby