[Koha-devel] Postmortem on Git server outage

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Sep 10 17:01:11 CEST 2013

Hi,

First, my thanks to Kyle for bouncing the Git server this morning.

Upon my review of the logs, I determined that the outage was initiated by a
single host making 79 requests to download tarball snapshots from Gitweb.
 This occurred between 05:55:22 and 07:27:19.  A significant number of the
requests were made between 05:58 and 06:05.  Creating a tarball snapshot is
a relatively expensive operation, one that Gitweb provides as a convenience
but which does not scale well as currently implemented.

Further analysis of the logs suggests that at least some other outages or
slowness of the Git server can be attributed excessive snapshot requests.

For now, I have turned off the snapshot-download functionality.  While I'm
not inclined to turn it on again, the logs do indicate that there may be
some people using this feature legitimately.  If you are one of those
people, please let me know if your needs can be met by (say) a cronjob that
produces a daily static tarball of the current state of master.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton