[Koha-devel] Need advice for Bug 10758 - Show bibliographic information of deleted records in acquisitions

Mathieu Saby mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr
Tue Sep 17 09:46:05 CEST 2013

I know in our previous ILS (Loris), there were a specific table for
deleted records, like now in Koha.

By the way, if this solution is approved, don't you think a field with
the date of suppression, like in aqorders would maybe more useful than a
"1/0" flag ?

Galen Charlton a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Mathieu Saby
> <mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr <mailto:mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr>>
> wrote:
>
>     Yep, that was one of my ideas too. So, less work will be necessary
>     on C4 subs.
>     But as said K. Fisher, if there are "deleted..." tables, it is
>     probably for one reason??
>

> Here are some pros and cons of keeping them in the same table, but
> with a deleted flag.
>
> PROs
> --------------
> [1] Foreign key relationships can be expressed and enforced without
> contortions.
> [2] Certain types of UNION queries would not required.
>
> CONs
> ----------
> [1] Most SQL queries would need the equivalent of a 'AND NOT deleted'
> clause tacked on to them.  Easier to do cleanly with DBIx::Class,
> perhaps, but that would still leave SQL reports (and legacy code).
> [2] Code would have to ensure that you don't end up with active items
> attached to logically deleted bibs.
> [3] There may be a point where a library or consortium that has been
> running Koha for a long time ends up with a significant portion of
> their biblio table containing logically deleted records, to the
> positive detriment of query performance.
For your 3 : I think it would be easy to write a maintenance script
deleting from database all deleted biblios, or all biblios deleted since
a certain date, with an option for keeping those used in acqorders table
for non-cancelled-ordered.

Regards,
Mathieu

--