[Koha-devel] Bot testing patches

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Sep 18 16:31:48 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz>wrote:

> You may have noticed that there have been a bunch of updates from
> <gitbot at bugs.koha-community.org> to bugs in 'Needs Signoff' status.
> It is running through all bugs in that status, grabbing the patches
> and applying them, and changing the status if they don't apply clean.

I think this is an excellent idea.

> If people find this annoying I will turn it off. If people don't I
> will start on phase 2, which is making it run all the tests after
> applying the patches, and catch any fails.

I think the annoyance factor would mainly depend on how frequently the bot
fails patches incorrectly.  I also have a concern about the potential for a
new contributor to post a patch in good faith, only to have their first
interaction with the community be a bot them that their patch is
problematic, but I think we can wait and see how it works out in practice.

> My idea is that everything in the 'Needs Signoff' should be passing
> tests and applying cleanly.

Agreed.  One caveat, though -- if it isn't doing so already, the bot should
be taking dependent bugs into account when testing whether patches apply.
 It failing to do so would quickly turn it into an annoyance.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton