[Koha-devel] Automatic renewal feature

Holger Meissner Holger.Meissner at hs-gesundheit.de
Thu Apr 24 12:33:43 CEST 2014

Dear Koha devs,

I would like to have your opinion on a few things concerning the automatic renewal feature I'm going to develop (bug 11577). There have been a few suggestions and I'm now trying to decide which ones to include right away or do as a follow-up.

Here's the updated RFC:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Automatic_renewal_RFC

Before I start writing code I'd like to know:
* Should the automatic renewal option be sysprefed? Or should it always be visible/available?
* Should it be based on permissions? I'd say no. Do you think libraries might want to have some staff with permission for circulation but NOT automatic renewal and other staff with permission for both?

I believe the next questions are better suited for a follow-up, but also important:
* Do we need a special notice for automatic renewals? For the first step I would prefer not to mess with the messaging system (remains to be seen if there are problems with the standard renewal notice, though).
*Should patrons be allowed to enable automatic renewal in the OPAC? I didn't think about this at first, because my library wants the feature only for some patron categories, not all.

Thanks!
Holger