[Koha-devel] Documentation review

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 07:45:49 CET 2014

Greetings,

I personally do not like putting the command line prompt '$ foobar' into the
code boxes. It makes cutting and pasting more time consuming. I think we can
accommodate that level of laziness. :)

Additionally, like we discussed on the IRC channel, I think some people will
out of ignorance add all three to a koha.list file if you put them all in
code boxes. People who read instructions will see the oldstable and unstable
entries. People who do not, will likely end up with unstable in their
koha.list file because they did all three.

Also, the 'sudo ls' in the Ubuntu instructions is intentional, because
otherwise running the wget straight up will expect a password, but it won't
be obvious to the user. I'd recommend it.

Your instructions for Debian do not mention the configuration file checked
for the creation of instances, nor do you mention koha-create-db parameters.
Your instructions are English specific. The Ubuntu instructions mention
where to change the ZEBRA_LANGUAGE (specifically for Spanish as an
example). -- Thanks Pabloab.

Rather than summarize separate remote database, perhaps you should link to
(and clean up as necessary):
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Install_Koha_3.6_on_Debian_squeeze_using_a_separate_MySQL_server
*makes mental note for potential tweak to Ubuntu instructions*

The 'Access the web interface' section looks like if I do just those steps
then Koha should be working. Someone is going to misunderstand, particularly
if they are unfamiliar with Linux. This is why the Ubuntu packages
documentation is so long. It's aimed at a lower technical level than the
Debian instructions. If people can't install Koha, they will form a negative
opinion of the software. Our instructions need to be written for the
want-it-easily-installed-now, unfamiliar-with-linux user with respect to the
packages. Instructions for a development environment should require a higher
level of understanding, but I still don't believe we should force a level of
geekdom on people who wish to try to dip their toes in the water.

Lastly, except for having to install sudo in the first place, which is not
documented because sudo is installed by default in Ubuntu but not Debian (in
my experience), the Ubuntu instructions work for Debian as well.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett