[Koha-devel] Automatic renewal feature

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Jan 17 17:12:02 CET 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Holger Meissner
<Holger.Meissner at hs-gesundheit.de> wrote:
> Eric Bégin wrote:
>> Instead of implementing this in the issuing rules, I think we could add
>> an "Automatic renewal" checkbox on the checkout page and adding
>> this value in the issues table.
>
> I think my library needs this as part of the issuing rules, because
> we have certain patron categories that generally are to be automatically
> renewed. But other libraries might want to use the feature for individual
> patrons or even single checkouts. So it might be best to implement
> it both in the issung rules and on the checkout page?

Yes.  Here is how I suggest doing it:

- add an auto_renew flag to both issuingrules and issues
- when a loan is made, issues.auto_renew is set to the value of
issuingrules.auto_renew from the loan rule that was applied.
- the cronjob checks issues.auto_renew -- in other words, it doesn't
the loan itself.

That way, the door would be open for Eric's checkbox while fulfilling
your need for the behavior to be controlled by circ policy.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton